Your employer can tell whether you are lazy by your Facebook activities

By Henry Mushipi
With extensive research currently taking place in the field of Human Resources and Individual/ Organisational Psychology and Behavior, it has become increasingly easy to tell the personality of an individual using very little information such as favorite pet or color, most productive time of the day, sleeping patterns etc.
A lot of people, whether unconsciously or otherwise do give out a lot of such information on the social networking site facebook. Such information (including religious beliefs) has been used by psychological profilers to identify vulnerable individuals who were eventually recruited by extremist terrorist organizations to carryout suicide missions in the name of their “Maker”.
However, the same information can still be used by employers/recruiters as a tool for selecting the most suitable candidate for a job. For example one study found that the more people a facebooker had on their friends list, the more likely it was that the person was an extrovert and would, due to his/her ability to attract and interact with so many people, make a very good Marketing, Public Relations or front office person.
The comments and status updates can assist in determining character, mood swings and levels of aggression that a professional can use to match a person with a job and how well the prospective employee can fit in with other members of staff.
The frequency with which a person posts and comments on their (and other peoples’) wall may give an indication of either loneliness, need for attention or boredom and to a lesser or greater extent, esteem issues. Writing about past glories may indicate that one really has nothing going for them and doesn’t see him/herself making a comeback anytime soon, another ingredient for failure.
Too much activity during working hours from a facebooker that is currently in employment shows a lack of commitment to duty (reasons may range from laziness, wrong placement, or frustration) and such people may need close supervision (simply taking away the internet from them may not solve anything as they will just use the phone or form gossip clicks in the company).
The question is would you be comfortable with a recruiter looking into your account (status updates, wall posts, comments etc) when deciding whether or not you fit the job profile?
Whether or not sorrounded by Zambian and Angolan soldiers, Barotse council will take off
I didn't sleep with the bitch, says boy charged with bestiality

24 Responses to "Your employer can tell whether you are lazy by your Facebook activities"

1. El jabber  March 24, 2012 at 14:31

Dont people more serious to attend to like having a drink than bothering us with social nets?

2. Justin Chipimo (NAREP)  March 23, 2012 at 19:07

@ MMC Chilebabes u ar pefectly rit of havin thnusands of freinds on fb. Whom u dot chat wth or coment. I’v freinds here who kip on makin freinds 4 nothin,jst wantin #. Hav a # of freinds u can manage 2 mention there names.

3. Zed  March 23, 2012 at 17:32

To some largest extent you can tell the integrity, caliber etc…. of the poster by their post

4. UNZA Dizzy  March 23, 2012 at 17:26

@Bwalya Andrew Chisanga,

If you are holding any managerial position then you must be one of the dullest managers ever! The best I can liken you to is ukwa sata who has been trying to close this site when he doesn’t understand the working of the new generation. We are in the IT world my brother. If you are not careful with your use of IT you’ll be rendered redundant in your work place while you deem yourself to be the best. I beg to end here.

Herding for the bar, pachi light, chilenje market to be specific. I’ll will respond to you, bwalya, tommorow if at all you will react to my concerns. Say hi to your wife!

5. Sabs  March 23, 2012 at 16:02

U can’t please evrybad bonse. Never mind them! Only employers can understand what it is.

6. deltajo  March 23, 2012 at 15:49

Koma banthu benangu balemba……!

7. Reasoning Zambian  March 23, 2012 at 15:25

Ok. Great way, yet it shouldn’t be the main criteria of selecting. Let it carry 5%.

8. Chilanga Next  March 23, 2012 at 15:21

Ive been wondering how some people find all the time they need to be on fb.
    I get notifications on my email how much ‘action’ i have missied on fb. Kaanshi ni laziness..bakamitanfya inchito…

9. MMC Chilebabes....  March 23, 2012 at 15:14

Some information like having many friends is not true, some pipo have thousand friends but out of those there post nobody even comments or maybe 2-5 or no likes on there posts, meaning they dont interact with there friends but just to increase the number due to lonelyness.
    Us with only a HUNDRED friends, I get more comments & comment on pipos updates coz I only add & accept pipo I know personally, so am always on the same page with that person. Why add somebody I will not talk to?
    some pipo post errelevant things u cant even comment reason been his the only 1 who knows wat his talking about.

10. Bwalya Andrew Chisanga  March 23, 2012 at 14:23

That HRD ought to do better, they do not need such a rotten excuse know about prospective employees. There are better ways to know these things like references of past employers etc…

Secondly what if you do not have one then what do they use to assess you

11. UNZA Dizzy  March 23, 2012 at 13:54

As long as they don’t know my blog names on watch dog and LT I am safe. Next article please!

12. FRAZER  March 23, 2012 at 13:49

ITS TRUE A LOT OF WORKERS OUT THERE FINISH THERE TIME ON FACEBOOK WITH LOT OF LIES. AM THE MANAGING DIRECTOR.WHEN SOMEBODY IS JUST AN OFFICE ORDERY.ESPESIALLY WORKERS LIKE SECRETARY.

13. Mpompoboys  March 23, 2012 at 13:48

my friend we are waiting for breaking news on ukwa’s status and not this article…you think we are happy in zambia.

14. Joe  March 23, 2012 at 13:35

people shud start knowing these things.

15. Big Z  March 23, 2012 at 13:32

Its so true, i see so many lazy fools chatting away the whole day and that includes bosses too!

16. Zambian Outside-looking-in  March 23, 2012 at 13:27

can’t access fb from work anyway and mobile phones aren’t really used for personal reasons but nontheless wouldn’t want work snooping around…

17. shimaini  March 23, 2012 at 13:17

just balance. some people behave like they are not employed and one could even aford to post stuff like, “work is boring today, i feel like going home”, etc…….

one can do social networking befor work, at tea time and lunch. some bloggers are like employed by fb, even me i can fire such a one. so its okay for emplyers or HRD to check on employees esp critical ones on their interaction with social networks.

18. Mr Nothing...  March 23, 2012 at 13:15

I have nothing to say to this

19. taliban  March 23, 2012 at 12:11

fyola…work is boring ..no money!

20. chitapankwa  March 23, 2012 at 11:31

nt interestd,,,sori

21. mwansa M mwasna,  March 23, 2012 at 11:20

Most pipo hav come to know this ” Zambia Watchdog” through fb,many have been able to see yo article 2day via their FB,Personaly without fb i wudnt hav seen yo Article. Anyway such is lyf, thy wil oways b pipo lyk u who wil oways want to sound abit on the otherside, we hav seen yo kind b4.I gues u just needed attention ka, anyway u hav my attention..

22. Nsengu  March 23, 2012 at 11:01

Yes,i’d b comfortable wt my h.r lukn at my account on fb.bcz i dnt v any account

23. Patriotic Fuls.  March 23, 2012 at 10:52

Eish. Will block my account kansi.

24. Next!  March 23, 2012 at 10:48

I closed my account three months ago.

Next item please!